- Developed the website for an online course educating parents about technology, 90 Days of Summer.
- Created a website which is used by thousands each month to automatically summarize text, Text Compactor.
- Developed a commercial web application which allows teachers to easily create accessible web pages, Jen: The Tiered Web Page Generator.
- Performed finite element analysis of the deformation of a mold used for composites research using the ANSYS software package. Based on the results, proposed design modifications to reduce the deformation by a factor of 4.
- Wrote a program (using Python and Numpy) to estimate the concentrations of pollutants in engine exhaust for various combinations of fuels and air-fuel ratios.
- Created a LabView program that used data from two accelerometers and a force transducer to measure impact energy for an automated endurance testing apparatus.
- Worked as part of a 4 person team to automate the 2-dimensional movement of an apparatus used for nano-particle deposition research.
- A few small projects and scripts can be found on my GitHub profile.
Skills & Experience
- Completed both Stripe's Capture the Flag 2.0 (web security) and 3 (distributed systems)
- Built 6 websites, and contributed to 3 others, using server-side MVC frameworks (Django, Flask)
- Significantly contributed to several AngularJS single page web applications.
- Designed, documented, and implemented 3 web services (APIs)
- Designed websites to meet Section 508 and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 Level AA
- Wrote programs to parse data from experiments, perform aggregation and analysis, and output reports, including PDFs with graphs (using Python, Numpy, Matplotlib, and ReportLab)
- Debugged and created programs (with Vizard, E-Prime) used for experiments with human subjects
- Introduced distributed version control (git) and issue tracking to an organization's development process
- Managed Linux servers, running web (Apache, Nginx) and database (MySQL, PostgreSQL) servers, for over 4 years
- Automated website deployment and server backup procedures (with Fabric, rsync)
- Conceptualized complex systems and communicated the concepts using flowcharts (GraphViz) and interface mockups
- Constructed analog and digital circuits, including programming TTL chips with VHDL and microcontrollers with C
- Troubleshooting (mechanical systems, software, computer hardware)
- Hands on experience with mill and lathe machining, soldering, woodworking, and automotive repair/maintenance
- Wrote instructions and documentation
- Composed and edited content, formatted documents, and created charts and figures while assisting with preparation of over 20 federal grant proposals, resulting in $3.3M in funding
- Performed complex accounting and budgeting activites
- Assisted with project planning and management, including creation of timelines and Gantt charts
- Supervised student employees
- Worked with remote coworkers on multiple projects
- Assisted with instruction of labs for a course on assistive technology
- Software skills
- Linux (Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora), Mac, Windows; both GUI and command line
- Microsoft Office (including advanced formatting in Word and complex formulas/macros in Excel)
- Graphic editing and manipulation (Photoshop, Fireworks, Illustrator)
- 3D solid modeling (ProEngineer)
- Finite element analysis (ANSYS, Pro-E Mechanica)
- Maternity Neighborhood
at Private Practice, Inc. Charlottesville, VA
- Software Developer October 2013-present
- Knowledge By Design, Inc.
Whitefish Bay, WI
- Product Developer March 2009-present
- Web Developer Sept. 2000-March 2009
- Rehabilitation Research Design and Disability Center
at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Milwaukee, WI
- Instrumentation Technologist April 2011-October 2013
- IS Technical Services Professional Dec. 2009-April 2011
- Technical Research Assistant June 2006-Dec. 2009
- Independent consultant for the following companies:
References available upon request.
Bachelor's of Science in Mechanical Engineering
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2009
Other Accomplishments & Honors
- Passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam (April 2011).
- Recognized on Dean's Honor List three times (Fall 2004, Spring 2009, Fall 2009)
- Publications and Presentations
- Edyburn, K. D., Schwartz, J., & Smith, R. O. (2013). A Case Study: Development of Access Ratings for Buildings "Consumer" Mobile App. Proceedings of the RESNA 36th Annual Conference on Technology and Disability: Research, Design, Practice and Policy.
- Schwartz, J., O'Brien, C., Edyburn, K. D., Ahamed, S. I., & Smith, R. O. (2013). Smartphone Based Solutions to Measure the Built Environment & Enable Participation. Proceedings of the RESNA 36th Annual Conference on Technology and Disability: Research, Design, Practice and Policy.
- Tomashek, D. B., Edyburn, K. D., Baumann, R., & Smith, R. O. (2013). The Case for Next Generation Text Description Solutions for Visual Information Accessibility. Proceedings of the RESNA 36th Annual Conference on Technology and Disability: Research, Design, Practice and Policy.
- Wang YC, Byers K, Trierweiler R, Edyburn K, Jesselson M, Insley M. (2013). Development of a Return-to-Work Vocational Assessment Tool Using Virtual Reality Technology and Manipulation Interfaces. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 53(Suppl.), 187.
- Smith, R. O., Snyder, T., Edyburn, K., & Hirschman, A. M. (2012). ACCESS-Life: Universal Design Resource Websites. Proceedings of the RESNA 35th Annual Conference on Technology and Disability: Research, Design, Practice and Policy.
- Edyburn, D. L., & Edyburn, K. D. (2012). Tools for Creating Accessible, Tiered, and Multilingual Web-Based Curricula. Intervention in School and Clinic, 47(4), 199-205.
- Schwanke, T. D., Brondino, M. J., Smith, R. O., & Edyburn, K. (2007). Web-based dynamic graphing of RSA-911 rehabilitation technology data. Proceedings of the RESNA 30th International Conference on Technology and Disability: Research, Design, Practice and Policy.